Vegan Purple Yam/Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake & Frosting
Sweet Potato Puree
- 2 large yams/sweet potatoes (or 4 medium)
- 1 cup purple sweet potato puree (instructions below*)
- 1 cup spelt flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup & 2 tablespoons white grape juice
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan/Sea salt
- ¼ cup & 1 tablespoon cacao/cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- 2 tablespoons molasses (*1 if you want it less sweet)
Purple Sweet Potato Frosting
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- Making the purple yam/sweet potato puree: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Wash the sweet potatoes but don’t peel. If your sweet potatoes are giants, cut them in smaller pieces so it will cook faster. Put them in the oven and bake for about an hour and check by running a toothpick down. If it’s soft, then it’s ready. If not, cook longer. Mine took about one hour and 40 minutes. Peel the cooked sweet potatoes and put them all in a blender and blend until it’s completely smooth.
- Making the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In a large bowl, add the spelt flour, whole wheat flour, almond milk, grape juice, flaxseed, olive oil, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, salt, carob/cacao, cacao nibs and molasses. Stir or whisk until the batter is very well blended.
- Grease a cake pan and carefully spoon the batter on it. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and start testing the cake by running a sharp object like a toothpick or skewer in the centre. If it comes out clean, then it’s done. Mine took about 40 minutes to cook.
- Run a thin and sharp knife carefully along the edges of the cake to release it.
- Making the Frosting:
- Add one cup of purple yam/sweet potato puree in the blender with 3 tablespoons of unsweetened almond milk, one tablespoon shredded coconut and a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Blend until everything is smooth, then spoon it into a cake decorating tool. Decorate the cake in any way you want, then cut it into pieces to serve.
Source Recipe HERE