Vegan Brown Rice Congee with Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 cup brown rice
- 5½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan/sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon extra light olive oil
- 5 shiitake mushrooms, soaked overnight
- A sprinkle of Himalayan/sea salt
- 1 scallion
- 1-2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Sesame seeds
- Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in water overnight.
- Add a cup of brown rice with 5½ cups of water in a medium large saucepan, and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Bring the rice to a boil, which can take from 10-15 minutes. Once the rice is boiling, turn the heat back down to medium low (3-4).
- Simmer for about 35 minutes, then add the sesame oil, salt and ginger powder. Continue simmering for another 10-12 minutes. By this stage, be sure to stir every 5-8 minutes so the bottom doesn’t stick.
- Meanwhile, drain all the water from the shiitake mushrooms and rinse it thoroughly. Slice it into thin strips and put it in a small saucepan or frying pan with a teaspoon of extra light olive oil and salt.
- Saute in medium high for about 6 minutes until the shiitake mushrooms give off a fragrance.
- Chop the scallions across the length, into small circles.
- When the rice is done (should be very thick by now), spoon it onto a large bowl or two small bowls. Add the shiitake mushrooms on top, along with the scallions. Drizzle a teaspoon or two of soy sauce and garnish with sesame seeds.
Source Recipe HERE