Vegan Alfredo Sauce with Brown Rice Pasta and Spinach
- ½ cup cashews, pre-soaked
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 packet 16oz brown rice penne
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup rice water from boiling pasta
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Soak the cashew in warm water for about 15 minutes first. Then, add the cashew, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, almond milk, nutritional yeast, spelt flour, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and nutmeg into the blender and blend until it’s very creamy and smooth.
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil and add the penne pasta. Let it cook on high heat for about 10-15 minutes until the pasta is nice and soft, but still chewy. Meanwhile, spoon the Alfredo sauce and 2 tablespoons of water into the frying pan and bring it to a low simmer (4) for about 15 minutes while the pasta is cooking. Once the pasta is cooked, add it to the saucepan with ½ cup of water from boiling the pasta and a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- After simmering another minute or two, add the spinach and let it cook for a further 5-7 minutes until the spinach leaves are soft.
- If you like a thinner sauce, add more water.
Source Recipe HERE