Rainbow Veggie Bake and Rice Bowl
Rice and Grains
- 1½ cup long grain brown rice
- ½ cup pearl barley
- ½ cup millets
- ½ cup lentils
- 4½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan/Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion
- 1 small yellow bell pepper
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ large zucchini
- 1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white cooking wine
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan/Sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Cabbage and Tomatoes
- 6 cabbage leaves
- 5 sundried tomatoes in olive oil
- A sprinkle of Himalayan/Sea salt
- To make the Rice: Get a large saucepan and combine the brown rice, pearl barley, millets and lentils in four and a half cups of water. Let that sit for about an hour. Afterwards, bring it to a boil for about 10-15 minutes (different size stoves take different times). Bring it to medium low (3-4) and simmer for about 25 minutes until the rice and grains are soft. It may take longer, so you will need to taste to find out. Once the rice is cooked, take it off the stove and add in the salt and olive oil and stir well.
- To make the Veggie Bake: Dice the red onion, yellow and red peppers, and the zucchini into small cubes or whatever size you prefer. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Put all the chopped vegetables in an oven tray and drizzle with extra light olive oil. Then, add all the spices, including the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, lemon juice, white cooking wine, fennel seeds, pepper flakes and salt. Use a spoon and mix it well. Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use a knife to chop the cabbage into thin slices. Boil a saucepan of water and pour the boiling hot water over the cabbage for about a minute, then drain it with a strainer and rinse with cold water. Chop the sundried tomatoes into very small pieces and put it in the bowl with the cabbage and sprinkle a little salt on it. Set that aside.
- To combine: Once the veggie bake is done, take it out of the oven and mix the cabbage and sundried tomatoes in and stir, then combine it with the rice and mix well.
Source Recipe HERE